[arch-dev-public] xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Wed Mar 4 05:10:23 EST 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:55:31 +0100
Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:

> I've added xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-drm to testing. Together with
> Xorg 7.5 this is a nice replacement for the binary crap when you don't
> need 3D stuff. 2D works well accelerated. 3D will follow later with
> gallium 3d. For more read:
>
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>

> I run a DualHead setup on my desktop. This is my full xorg.conf for
> example:
>
> # the right one
> Section "Monitor"
>           Identifier   "NEC"
>           Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
> EndSection
> # the left one
> Section "Monitor"
>           Identifier   "FUS"
>           Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
>           Option "LeftOf" "NEC"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "nvidia card"
>     BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)]
> rev 161" Driver "nouveau"
>     Option  "Monitor-DVI-I-0" "NEC"
>     Option  "Monitor-DVI-I-1" "FUS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "screen1"
>     DefaultDepth 24
>       SubSection "Display"
>        Depth      24
>        Virtual 2560 1024
>       EndSubSection
>     Device "nvidia card"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier "layout1"
>     Screen "screen1"
>     # will be replaced by gallium 3D
>     Option "AIGLX" "false"
> EndSection
>

> Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.
>
> -Andy

I have installed nouveau and everything runs fine here on my computer.
The normal work like surfing, building packages, mails, etc. works as
always. There are no problems so far. Ok, there is no 3D at the moment
but who needs 3D. ;) (I don't need 3D)

The installation process was a little bit stony. This way worked:

- uninstalling nvidia and nvidia-utils
- installing xf86-video-nouveau and nouveau-drm
- reboot (removing the drm module doesn't work here)
- reinstalling libgl and xorg-server

That's it. After the steps everything worked as expected. Maybe there
is an easier way for installing it (normally removing the module
should work), but it works this way.

I will test it (and the future versions) further and I'm looking forward
for the 3D support.

Cheers,
 Daniel