[arch-dev-public] [signoff] syslog-ng-3.0.1-1

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 17:07:59 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> I get same thing when running as root. Do you have a var symlink in
>>> /usr? If so, that's why it works for you.
>>> I don't know what could be the problem as we already use
>>> --localstatedir=/var/lib/syslog-ng.  Maybe there's a configure  option
>>> for the location of the pid file.
>> it seems i have such an old system that it still has this old symlink :D
>> ok i'll fix it tomorrow
>>

> >From filesystem 2009.01 pkgbuild :
>  # fhs compliance
>  (cd $startdir/pkg/usr; ln -s ../var var)
>
> So most systems should have this symlink, but I also think it would be
> better to avoid using it.
> It seems weird to have usr/var/... files in a package while these
> files are going to end up in /var/ when installed.

Both my i686 and x86_64 systems didn't had that symlink. I reinstalled
filesystem and now they have it. I don't know why the symlink wasn't
there. Either I removed it without thinking that it was belonging to a
package or an error happenned when I upgraded.

Anyway, the only reference to /usr/var in the FHS (
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html ) is:

"If /var cannot be made a separate partition, it is often preferable
to move /var out of the root partition and into the /usr partition.
(This is sometimes done to reduce the size of the root partition or
when space runs low in the root partition.) However, /var must not be
linked to /usr because this makes separation of /usr and /var more
difficult and is likely to create a naming conflict. Instead, link
/var to /usr/var."

I think the symlink can go. It's up to the user to decide if he wants
a seperate patition for /var or not. The sysmlink doesn't do anything
in that regard unless I misunderstood somethoiong. Currently, it only
prevents broken packages that use /usr/var instead of /var to stop
working.