[arch-dev-public] Scim and arphic fonts update in [testing]

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Tue Mar 10 12:45:07 EDT 2009

Eric Bélanger a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just updated several scim-related packages. They are in the
>> [testing] repo. The updated packages are:
>>
>> anthy
>> libchewing
>> libhangul
>> scim
>> scim-anthy
>> scim-chewing
>> scim-tables
>> uim
>> scim-uim (no update, just rebuild against uim 1.5.5)
>>
>> As I don't use these packages (I believe no dev use them either), I
>> could only do  minimal testing.  It would be nice if users of these
>> packages test them and report if they work properly or if there are
>> problems with them.
>>
>> I've also updated (in [testing] repo) the Arphic fonts:
>> ttf-arphic-ukai and ttf-arphic-uming
>>
>> There are two points about these fonts:
>>
>> 1. According to upstream:
>> "This release contains Firefly's Bitmap fonts. The Bitmap fonts are available
>> for 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 pixel and currently cover Big5 and GB2312.
>> HKSCS is currently not supported as there are many more characters missing.
>> So, for Big5 and GB2312 characters the bitmap glyphs should improve the
>> rendering, but for all other characters, the rendering is the same like
>> without bitmap glyphs."
>>
>> I might be nice to get comments about someone using these fonts to see
>> if the ttf-fireflysung package is indeed no longer needed
>> (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8951).
>>
>> 2.  The updated ttf-arphic-* packages in testing provide the fonts as
>> a TrueType Collection, i.e. the fonts come in 4 flavors (CN, HK, TW
>> and TW MBE), with different glyph shapes according to the preferred
>> shapes in each region (more info here:
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CJKUnifonts/Download). As a
>> result TeX users will encounter trouble using this font.  The
>> following programs/libraries are known to not fully support TTC files
>> and can usually only use the first fontface of the TTC:
>> - jdk and openjdk6
>> - imlib2 and applications which use imlib2.
>>
>> Again, I and probably none of the devs don't use these fonts so
>> feedback from users would be nice.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Did anyone had time to test them yet?
>
> Eric

I just tested scim to input Chinese with pinyin method and it works
fine. I don't use the other scim-related pkgs. I have tested the Arphic
fonts rather superficially, but at first sight they are just ok (tested
in gedit and with xetex).

NB: These TTC fonts won't be a problem for XeTeX users (xetex is part of
texlive-core), and other TeX users actually use the Postscript versions
of the same fonts that come with texlive-lang-cjk.