[arch-dev-public] [signoff] mailx-8.1.1-6

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:17:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Dale Blount wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:33 -0300, Hugo Doria wrote:
>>

>>> Just a quick question: why do we have mailx on core? AFIK mailx is not
>>> required by any of the packages from core.
>>>

>> syslog maybe?  not directly required, however.
>>

>> Dale
>>

> AFAIK, it is required by the FHS.

Not the FHS, but the Single Unix Spec (SUSv3) - or POSIX 100something...

It basically says that "for all unicies, they should have these
utilities", and that includes mailx.

Because you have to register to view the SUSv3 spec, I always link to
the LSB page that includes the list:
http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/command.html#CMDUTIL

All the commands marked [1] are part of the SUSv3 spec