[arch-dev-public] dropping Gnash?

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:15:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 04:06 -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>> I've started to work on an gnash upgrade. But  keep the gnash PKGBUILD
>> in unsupported until the update is actually done. (ie I might change
>> my mind).
>>
>> BTW, I'll probably use agg for the renderer instead of opengl for
>> performance reason: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13443.  This was
>> done in the PKGBUILD in AUR. I might also change the media from
>> gstreamer to ffmpeg.  I've read somewhere that ffmpeg was better on
>> Youtube. Currently, gnash 0.8.4 or 0.8.5 doesn't work on Youtube as
>> far as I could tell.
>
> At this moment we have updates for ffmpeg and friends sitting in
> testing.

I am aware about that. The faad2/x264 rebuild is blocked in testing
because of a bug. I want to make a couple more test to make sure it's
not a packaging bug  before submitting an upstream bug report.

> If you consider switching to plain ffmpeg instead of GStreamer,
> I would like to have ffmpeg updated to the normal release, which is
> "stable".
> When we get this version, I could even compile
> gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg against the system-installed ffmpeg, as GStreamer
> has switched to the stable version also now.

I was wondering if we should stick with the svn snapshot or switch
back to the stable release. After what you said, I'll switch to the
stable release.  My only concern is if they wait for several years
before releasing their next stable release. But we could always go
back to svn snapshots if it's the case.