[arch-dev-public] glibc and minimum kernel version

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat May 9 22:45:13 EDT 2009

Now glibc-2.10 is out, I will be preparing another toolchain rebuild.
One question that has been discussed previously is bumping the minimum
kernel required by glibc.  Bumping it too recent is full of stupid, but
bumping it some would cut down on some unnecessary glibc workaround code.

I am thinking that the minimal kernel version should be 2.6.22 which was
released two years ago. It is the lowest kernel version that udev works
with so people using kernels older than that need to do some workarounds
anyway.

Any comments/objections?

Allan