[arch-dev-public] Audio packages

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Mon May 11 19:47:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Anyone care to right up a draft for a news item? Or do we have anyone in mind?
>>
>> Are we sure we want to bring someone on for this? Traditionally, audio
>> development is a separate community project (ubuntustudio, for
>> example) due to the need for a custom kernel. It seems to me its a bit
>> outside the scope of our development focus.
>
> Well I think Allan is talking more about the audio related utilities
> in extra already that are part of gnome/KDE and the like.

I forwarded the initial post on the AUR ML in case a TU is interested.

I believe Allan is talking about the audio apps NOT part of KDE or
Gnome as those are already maintained by the kde/gnome devs. Unless
I'm mistaken, we're talking about standalone audio apps: ardour,
rosegarden, fluidsynth, jackbeat, etc. Most of these are orphaned.

If none of the current dev/TU is interested, we could ask an
interested user to apply to become TU and move the packages to
community.  Obviously, he would have to pass the TU voting procedure.
If the prospective maintainer doesn't have what it takes to become a
TU, then we probably don't want him on the dev team. Of course, we can
add him straight to the dev team depending on who is it.