[arch-dev-public] packages in base - Was: xz-utils and libarchive-2.7.0-2

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun May 31 08:42:52 EDT 2009

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Sonntag 31 Mai 2009 14:14:48 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>
>> If everything is OK we can move both to core and remove lzma-utils from
>> extra.
>>

> tpowa just asked me but I am not sure about it: Should cz-utils be part of the
> base group? It'll be installed anyway because libarchive depends on it. O the
> other hand we might want to have a base group which does not depend on
> anything which is not a group member.

I have been thinking about this since seeing this bug:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12890

My opinion is that only packages that we directly want in the base group
should be in it.  Packages that are only needed as deps, should not be
in base.  That would make package selection in the installer easier too.

Allan