[arch-dev-public] /var/empty

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 13:14:12 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:23, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
>> instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)
>
> It is.

It is not:
$ pacman -Ql filesystem | grep empty
$

> The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
> when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
> behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.

Yes, I know this, but what I suggest is to fix in in a different way:
installing it as part of filesystem and fix packages to not install it.

Thomas' addition of /var/empty existence check is okay though,
because sshd is important enough to be working regardless of /var/empty issues.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)