[arch-dev-public] Cronjob for regular git garbage collection

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 3 09:28:49 EST 2009

Dan McGee schrieb:
> That is the whole point, repack doesn't create small files, it bundles
> them up for you. Downloading 3 packs is still quicker than downloading
> 1 big one if we do it once a week.

I just read the help of repack -d and it totally makes sense to use it
this way. We could generate weekly packs then. Is there also an option
to repack these weekly packs into one big pack once they're older than 6
months or so?

>> pacman.git is our biggest and currently has a 5.4MB pack when you gc it.
>
> Note that this is an incredibly compacted initial pack- the repository
> will weigh in around 9 MB if you packed it locally; I had to pull some
> tricks to get it that small.

I don't understand. What did you do to it? I just ran "git gc" locally
on it and it had that size.

> I also hope most people use git; but I don't want to leave those in
> the dust that can't. They are also likely the ones with the worst
> internet connections so watching out for them might be the nice thing
> to do.

Agreed.