[arch-dev-public] Status of slimserver

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:16:39 EST 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there anyone interested in maintaining slimserver? It's currently
>>> orphaned, out-of-date and doesn't even install (missing
>>> perl-compress-zlib depends FS#16490).   If no one wants it, we could
>>> solve all these problems by moving it to AUR.
>>
>> +1 to move it out
>
> I have been using the squeezecenter package from the AUR for running my
> Squeezeboxes at home off my Arch server. It works pretty well and I do tend
> to look after it and update at least every few months.
>
> I could put that in [extra] if folks want. They're up to 7.4.1, so we're due
> for the next round of updates anyway.
>
> Threshold question: Isn't slimserver replaced by squeezecenter?

Both  slimserver and squeezecenter have been replaced by squeezebox:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeezebox_Server

 It's just another reason to remove it  from the repos. I will do that
this week-end.

>  If so is
> there any reason not to dump slimserver entirely and then either a) do
> nothing more, or b) put squeezecenter in [extra]?
>
> - P

I'm not too sure if adding squeezebox in [extra] is a good idea.  It
doesn't seem to be popular enough.  Only two votes in AUR for
squeezecenter and none for squeezeboxserver which was added last week.
Plus, it seem that you are the only dev/TU who has this kind of setup.
If you would stop maintaining it, it'll probably become an orphaned
package that will be moved back to AUR.