[arch-dev-public] [gnome-system-tools] move to extra

James Rayner james at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 5 18:23:41 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:43:25AM +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> hi,
> i want to move $subject to extra to have a complete gnome desktop.
> this package brings two additional dependency, liboobs and
> system-tools-backends.
>
> what to you think?

I don't like the idea. I don't think we need the GUI tools in the repos.
They hide the underlying system, they're anything but simple, and just
don't fit the Arch Way in any way shape or form. Last time I saw
gnome-system-tools were a horrible mishmash of perl scripts and a
nightmare to maintain - however that was a long time ago.

I'll probably be vetoed on this, partially because we already ship a
pile of GUI tools, KDE, wicd, etc, but I just don't think we need to
include them. If you'd posted them 4 years ago, I think everyone would
have said 'no', but things change...

James