[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts 2009.11-1, device-mapper/lvm2 2.02.54-2, udev 146-3

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 6 18:54:07 EST 2009

This upload brings some changes to all device-mapper based applications
and should be the start of fixing some race conditions (also needs a fix
to devicekit's udev rules).

Let's start with initscripts. There some outstanding issues as always,
but we should rather release than wait for me to think about all of them:

Aaron Griffin (7):

       Replace \e with \033 for printfs

       network: Use real interface name for ifconfig up

       Always shutdown daemons, regardless of runlevel

       network: support early 'up' for dhcp interfaces

       Add hvc0 to inittab (commented by default)

       Empty mtab instead of deleting it
       Replace 'truncate file' logic in case of noclobber

Jim Pryor (1):
       Fix stty/tput usage for columns again

Thomas Bächler (12):
       Add size and noexec mount options to /dev, change "none" to "udev"
       Use nosuid instead of noexec on /dev
       Remove uevent processing benchmark, as it is useless now that we
actually do work between trigger and settle
       Remove support for static filesystem and make code in rc.single
look like the code in rc.sysinit/rc.shutdown
       Implement a hook-system that allows to add custom code to the
initscripts at certain places
       Make the hook-system a bit more usable
       Only load rtc-cmos if rc.conf has proper clock settings
       Disable special handling of ACPI modules
       Remove code to create md* devices manually, this is done by udev
these days
       Set STARTUP=1 environment variable on initial udev triggering,
required by latest device-mapper rules
       Correct last commit: Unset the STARTUP=1 variable in udevadm
control only after udev has settled
       Remove redundant call to vgscan - this also fixes a "wrong"
symlink in combination with the new udev-based device mapper node creation

First I'd like to highlight the hooks-system. It can be used by splash
daemons or live systems or any user to hook in special functions during
the boot process. It is not really documented, there's some comments in
rc.functions on using it.

For this email, the lvm and udev changes are more important: During the
initial udevtrigger, the STARTUP=1 environment variable will be set in
all uevents. This is used by the new device-mapper/lvm2 upstream udev
rules (which replace our homegrown and outdated rule) which have to
distinguish between the initial triggering and later execution of uevents.

The device-mapper rules also set some flags that will tell other rules
to ignore a dm device (these flags have to be respected in devicekit to
solve some race conditions). The only change in udev is that the I
removed a hunk from the arch patch that un-ignored dm-* devices:
Peristent names for those are now handles in the device-mapper rules,
respecting the ignore flags and thus also avoiding weird races conditions.

If you found this confusing, ask, otherwise please test and sign off.
(Tested and working on x86_64 with encryption and lvm2)