[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts 2009.11-1, device-mapper/lvm2 2.02.54-2, udev 146-3

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:39:18 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> This upload brings some changes to all device-mapper based applications and
>> should be the start of fixing some race conditions (also needs a fix to
>> devicekit's udev rules).
>>
>> For this email, the lvm and udev changes are more important: During the
>> initial udevtrigger, the STARTUP=1 environment variable will be set in all
>> uevents. This is used by the new device-mapper/lvm2 upstream udev rules
>> (which replace our homegrown and outdated rule) which have to distinguish
>> between the initial triggering and later execution of uevents.
>>
>> The device-mapper rules also set some flags that will tell other rules to
>> ignore a dm device (these flags have to be respected in devicekit to solve
>> some race conditions). The only change in udev is that the I removed a hunk
>> from the arch patch that un-ignored dm-* devices: Peristent names for those
>> are now handles in the device-mapper rules, respecting the ignore flags and
>> thus also avoiding weird races conditions.
>>
>> If you found this confusing, ask, otherwise please test and sign off.
>> (Tested and working on x86_64 with encryption and lvm2)
>>

> FYI: There's a problem with lilo and the new device-mapper when your
> /boot is on a LVM volume. Basically, lilo fails to load the kernel.
> Thomas and I are looking into it.
>
> Eric

I've just pushed a fixed lilo-22.8-4 in testing. I only tested the i686 package.

BTW, I'm also having problems with my x86_64 system which use raid and lvm2. :(
It can't find the root device so I'm dropped in the initramfs fallback
shell.  I suspect that the problem is related to the  initramfs as I
can boot with the fallback image.