[arch-dev-public] Upstream bug closures

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 9 17:01:30 EST 2009

Jan de Groot wrote:
> I see a lot of bugs getting closed with "Upstream" lately because
> they're not packaging bugs. This is not the way to solve bugs. The only
> bugs that should be closed upstream are the ones in binary modules like
> flashplugin or nvidia binary drivers. Opensource software can be fixed
> or debugged, so we should do that instead of using this bogus closure
> option.

I agree if a package is actually broken then the bug report should
remain open with a link to the upstream bug report so that a patch can
be pulled when this is fixed upstream.

But I have used "upstream" to close bugs that I will not leave hanging
around in the bug tracker because they are very minor issues that I know
upstream do not care about (e.g. glibc first day of the week issues). If
there is going to be no upstream patch, then we should not be patching
ourselves.

Allan