[arch-dev-public] New NVIDIA legacy drivers compatible with our latest xorg-server

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Nov 13 12:45:59 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 18:23 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> NVIDIA released new prereleases of their 173.xx.xx and 96.xx.xx drivers
> ([1], [2]). Driver packages and kernel modules for the 2.6.31-ARCH
> kernel are being uploaded now, they should start to appear on mirrors
> soon. Please test them and report.
>
> [1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2122688
> [2] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2122691

Ah good, so that solves issues with people unable to use nvidia drivers
with X.Org 7.5.

To solve all problems, we just have to wait for a new nvidia driver that
fixes the awful slowdowns with an xorg-server package that has the
fedora patch applied. Fedora claims the patch isn't the fault here and
forwarded this issue to Nvidia. I don't know when we can expect a new
driver with the fix though.

To sidestep a bit more: we have had many requests for VDPAU support in
packages like Xine and mplayer. 2 months ago, nvidia released a
standalone libvdpau library released with BSD-style license. We should
package that library and remove the conflicting files from nvidia-utils.