[arch-dev-public] Status of gimp/gimp-devel

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 14:42:11 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Currently, both gimp and gimp-devel are out of date. The latest
>>> versions require updates of both babl and gegl but the gegl app in the
>>> gegl package seg fault. This is a confirmed upstream issue:
>>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591908.   I've been waiting
>>> for a fix but nothing so far. This is still not fixed upstream and I
>>> wasn't able to find any patches.  Either other distros haven't updated
>>> yet to gegl 0.1.0 or they have updated but haven't fixed the issue.
>>> If someone is interested in working toward making a patch, then it'll
>>> be much appreciated.
>>> Anyway, the gimp packages have been out-of-date for several months
>>> now. On one hand, I'm not too warm about updating these packages
>>> knowing about the gegl seg fault problem (that's one reason why I've
>>> waited so long). On the other hand, having a popular package like gimp
>>> out-of-date for so long isn't a good idea either. So what should we
>>> do?
>>> 1) Continue to wait until we have a fix for the seg fault.
>>> 2) Update the packages knowing that the gegl binary will be broken
>>> until there is a patch or new gegl version that will fix it. Gegl
>>> support in gimp itself works fine as far as I could test it.
>>> Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome.
>>> Eric
>> Well at least there seems to be a clue about what's going on :
>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591908#c4
>> So probably efforts should be made in that direction :)
> Sure, but I was unable to come up with a patch.  I don't have much
> time to devote to Arch anymore. So, as far as I'm concerned, it'll be
> either one of the two proposed options.

As no-one seem to care, I'll go with option 2 and update the packages
sometime this week-end or next week.

More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list