[arch-dev-public] Rewriting crypto support in initscripts

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 3 07:09:53 EDT 2009

I keep getting many init feature requests for more fancy and cool
features in crypttab. Now, the crypttab file format is unflexible and
extending it makes the code pretty much unreadable an unmaintainable.

This is what I am planning:
- Rewrite crypto support in initscripts, with a new configuration scheme
(our normal sourced bash-files) - adding all the features from feature
requests on the bugtracker.

- crypto support will be in a function outside of rc.sysinit for more
readability - that function will be POSIX sh compatible (see below)

- Add a compatibility layer that converts crypttab entries into the new
scheme at runtime so crypttab will still work, but will be deprecated.

- Add the optional possibility to also configure the root device like
this, so mkinitcpio will add a config file to the initramfs and use the
same code, making crypto configuration more straight-forward. The
cryptdevice= logic on the kernel command line will override such a
configuration and won't be deprecated.

I am in the stage of designing the configuration layout, you'll see
patches in git soon.