[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.31.2-1

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:09:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Another upstream release, I want to move directly after signoff.
>
> Last minute changes:
>
> - Changed number of maximum serial ports to 32
> - Enabled ATI KMS (if this causes problems, blame Andy, he says it's fine
> :D)
>
> Working fine on x86_64, i686 will be ready soon.

I like KMS a lot, and afaik it's recommended to try and test it as
it's the "way to go".

But since it seems to cause problems to some users, I think it would
be safer to post a news item about it.
At least providing the way to disable it at boot time in case it
causes problems.

And what happens when you have radeon kms enabled, but boot with a
vga= option or have another framebuffer driver enabled ?
Does it just fail to initialize kms, and everything works fine, just
like when disabling kms ?

I am sorry I cannot provide more information, I just have a
nvidia-enabled laptop and now nouveau kms is great with it :)