[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.31.3-1

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Thu Oct 8 07:39:17 EDT 2009

Am Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:21:07 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> Thomas Bächler schrieb:
> > Another upstream release, I want to move directly after signoff.
> >
> > Last minute changes:
> >
> > - Changed number of maximum serial ports to 32
> > - Enabled ATI KMS (if this causes problems, blame Andy, he says
> > it's fine :D)
> >
> > Working fine on x86_64, i686 will be ready soon.
> >

> Minor upstream update, the same holds again. Please sign off.
>
> Also, announcement draft:
>
> ATI KMS enabled in 2.6.31 kernel
>
> Linux 2.6.31.3 has moved to core and brings a small change for ATI
> users: Experimental modesetting for the radeon driver is now enabled.
> If you have problems with the driver, add "radeon.modeset=0" to the
> kernel command line or add the line "options radeon modeset=0" to any
> modprobe.d file. If you are using catalyst, you might have to
> blacklist the radeon driver.

This was my suggestion:

draft:

The new kernel 2.6.31 introduces KernelModeSetting(kms) enabled by
default for AMD/Ati video cards. The kernel will take over setting the
proper screen resolution. You will need the xf86-video-ati driver in
version 6.12.4 or later to solve most Xorg problems.

KMS will by default run in "late" mode when udev starts loading the
modules. If you want kms "early" mode put "radeon" into the modules
array into your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. It has been reported that some
cards will require also intel_agp module.

It's important to remove all framebuffer (e.g. radeonfb) modules
from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and all framebuffer + vga entries from the
kernel append line.

It is possible your Ati card will fail in kms mode. This can be a
kernel crash, Xorg not starting or Xorg starting without 3D
acceleration. If you are affected by this disable KernelModeSetting at
all by putting radeon.modeset=0 into the kernel append line
in /boot/grub/menu.lst or the lilo configuration file.

+ the catalyst note

I'm not sure if we want to cover all options in this announcement or
somewhere else (e.g. wiki). Your choice.

-Andy