[arch-dev-public] texlive-bin binary doesn't match PKGBUILD

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Oct 12 04:11:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 10:08 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
> Jan de Groot wrote:
> > Somehow the texlive-bin PKGBUILD doesn't provide the same binary package
> > that is in the repository. I just committed a gnome-unstable directory
> > with 3 patches that fixes build against poppler 0.12, but building it
> > with makechrootpkg results in a lot of missing binaries. Also, I
> > couldn't build texlive-bin without adding some force commands to ln and
> > rm.
> Thanks for reporting this Jan. I'll happily loot into this. But can you
> send me some more details first?
> Here are the facts from my side:
> texlive-bin 2009.4-2 was indeed created with "makepkg -R" on the basis
> of the previous build (pkgrel=1) because I only needed to add two
> missing symlinks for texlua and texluac (see FS#16486) and did not feel
> like rebuilding the whole goddam thing for something as simple as that
> (ca. 30 minutes of compilation at full processor last costs a lot of
> electricity you know ;) and my fans get real noisy too!)...
> So yes, I did fix that by hand: I unpacked the previously built packages
> under $pkgdir, created the symlinks, added the corresponding missing
> lines in the PKGBUILD, and then repackaged. I can assure you that the
> previous build (2009.4-1) was generated from the PKGBUILD then in trunk.
> But it was NOT built with makechrootpkg. Sometimes (rarely) makechroot
> is not a good idea. I know that building subversion and gvim with
> makechroot can yield incorrect packages. In the particular case of
> texlive-bin, which is very complex, I need to be in full control and a
> chroot environment does not provide this condition. But I am open to
> your criticism if you think this is not a good approach ;)
> Yet I am nevertheless surprised that texlive-bin does not build well
> with makechrootpkg. I certainly does in a normal environment.

The fixes were minor. It took me several rebuilds to find this out, but
here's a list:
- The symlinks you created weren't in the PKGBUILD correctly, I added
the correct ones, but didn't remove the wrong ones
- The command that generates all the symlinks depends on texlive-bin
being installed on the system, I fixed it by adding $pkgdir/usr/bin to
Besides the two fixes, nothing special was done to the package.

More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list