[arch-dev-public] binutils-2.20 toolchain rebuild in [testing]

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Oct 19 16:11:33 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 15:45 -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The binutils-2.20 toolchain rebuild is in [testing] for i686.  I will do
> > the x86_64 rebuilds in the next day or two.  A summary of changes:
> >
> > kernel-headers - bump to latest
> >
> > binutils - bump to latest
> >
> > glibc - grab upstream patchset for proposed future stable release, fix
> > overflow bug (FS#16253), patch to build against latest binutils
> >
> > gcc - bump to latest, use package spitting (gcc-libs, gcc, gcc-fortran,
> > gcc-objc), move static libraries from gcc-libs to gcc, add gcc-ada
> > package, do not run fixincludes during build.
> >
> > I will call for a signoff a few days after getting the x86_64 builds done.
> >
> > Allan
> >

> FYI, kernel-headers would be a candidate for the any arch. However, if
> you do the switch, then you'll need to release the toolchain for both
> arches at the same time otherwise it might break some stuff.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you diffed extracted tarballs of
kernel-headers for both architectures and did it return only .PKGINFO
related differences?
Reason for asking this is the /usr/include/asm directory. Though these
files are just stupid header files, the asm directory is usually taken
from architecture-specific includes.