[arch-dev-public] binutils-2.20 toolchain rebuild in [testing]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 19 19:34:30 EDT 2009

Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:

>>> FYI, kernel-headers would be a candidate for the any arch. However, if
>>> you do the switch, then you'll need to release the toolchain for both
>>> arches at the same time otherwise it might break some stuff.
>>>
>> I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you diffed extracted tarballs of
>> kernel-headers for both architectures and did it return only .PKGINFO
>> related differences?
>> Reason for asking this is the /usr/include/asm directory. Though these
>> files are just stupid header files, the asm directory is usually taken
>> from architecture-specific includes.
>>

> I had the same thought and had done a diff for
> kernel-headers-2.6.30.5-1.  Only the .PKGINFO were different.  It's
> possible that this will be changed for future updates though.  Maybe
> it would be safer to keep it arch dependent.

I have considered this and did a diff on the packages and came to same
conclusion as you.   But I did not want to assume that this will always
be the case...  screwing up the toolchain is not something I want to do!

Also, it is not a real "any" package.  I believe the package is
different on e.g. ppc (asm stuff that Jan mentioned), although I have
not checked...

So, I think I will leave this package as is.

Allan