[arch-dev-public] should be esound an optdepends?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Oct 21 03:33:45 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 01:46 +0200, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> >From FS#16502:
> With GNOME 2.28 arriving, it's time to make esound an optional
> package, which is currently not the case.
>
> Here is the list of the packages which requires esound. I think for
> all of them that esound should be an optional dependency (except maybe
> enlightenment?).
>
>  * bmp
>  * cinelerra-cv
>  * enlightenment
>  * epplet-base
>  * freeciv
>  * gmerlin
>  * gstreamer0.10-good-plugins
>  * kvirc
>  * kvm
>  * libgnome
>  * qemu
>  * vice
>  * xine-lib
>  * xmms
>
> What's our decision about this?

libgnome got the esound dependency removed and no longer depends on it.
As for the other apps: if they have a link dependency on libesd, they
should depend on it.
I wanted to get rid of esound from the gnome dependency tree because
it's only used for a deprecated sound API that applications no longer
use. Most applications use libcanberra or GStreamer these days. Without
esound, the libgnome sound api just doesn't play anything.