[arch-dev-public] binutils-2.20 toolchain rebuild in [testing]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 21 03:41:02 EDT 2009

Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 00:07 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>> Hi
>> The binutils-2.20 toolchain rebuild is in [testing] for i686.  I will do
>> the x86_64 rebuilds in the next day or two.  A summary of changes:
>> kernel-headers - bump to latest
>> binutils - bump to latest
>> glibc - grab upstream patchset for proposed future stable release, fix
>> overflow bug (FS#16253), patch to build against latest binutils
>> gcc - bump to latest, use package spitting (gcc-libs, gcc, gcc-fortran,
>> gcc-objc), move static libraries from gcc-libs to gcc, add gcc-ada
>> package, do not run fixincludes during build.
>> I will call for a signoff a few days after getting the x86_64 builds done.
>> Allan
> Maybe I'm a bit late with this, but could you also split the fortran and
> objc libs to their own package or leave them in gcc-libs? The compilers
> for these languages take up 9MB and 18MB of the total package, where the
> libs are small.

I agree here and had been thinking the same thing.  Not only are the
compiler packages relatively large, they also require gcc (67MB).  I
will look into moving these when I get a chance (before I call for a
signoff).   I will leave the ada libraries where they are and reassess
when we get apps that actually depend on them.