[arch-dev-public] Status of slimserver

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sat Oct 31 15:38:31 EDT 2009

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anyone interested in maintaining slimserver? It's currently
>> orphaned, out-of-date and doesn't even install (missing
>> perl-compress-zlib depends FS#16490).   If no one wants it, we could
>> solve all these problems by moving it to AUR.
>
> +1 to move it out

I have been using the squeezecenter package from the AUR for running my
Squeezeboxes at home off my Arch server. It works pretty well and I do
tend to look after it and update at least every few months.

I could put that in [extra] if folks want. They're up to 7.4.1, so we're
due for the next round of updates anyway.

Threshold question: Isn't slimserver replaced by squeezecenter? If so is
there any reason not to dump slimserver entirely and then either a) do
nothing more, or b) put squeezecenter in [extra]?

- P