[arch-dev-public] making a devtools release

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 1 06:43:52 UTC 2009

Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am intending to make one after applying a few patches that have been sent
>> to the mailing lists.  I know that are few people are already using a git
>> version for community and arch=any support so it should be good to go.
>>
>> Does anyone know of anything blocking a devtools release?
>>
>> Allan
>>

> I've been using a git version (with the fixes I submited in the ML.
> I'll need to check if they were all commited to git

At least two are not yet, but I have them on a local working branch:
 - makechrootpkg: fixed copying of .install file to chroot for split
packages
 - devtools: clean up of commitpkg

Let me know if there are any others that I missed.

> ) of the devtools
> for a while and it's working well.  The only major issue is that
> commit  doesn't work for split packages. You need to scp, svn commit,
> archrelease manually.
>
> I started looking into it with the intention of simply using a
> wildcard (scp *${PKGEXT}).  However, if a package is not in the trunk
> directory, commitpkg looks in $PKGDEST for the package. So wildcards
> won't work.
>
> As splitted packages can have have their own pkgver and/or pkgrel, the
> question is to figure out which pkgver and pkrel goes with which
> pkgname.  I don't have any idea on how to do that.  If someone has any
> idea/hints, I could work out the details.

Well, splitted packages can not really have their own pkgver/pkgrel...
it works in some cases but it really does screw things up in others.
e.g. test with three split packages and change the pkgver/pkgrel in the
middle one and look at the file names.  So I'm not sure we should spend
a lot of time fixing things that are not really available in makepkg yet.

Allan