[arch-dev-public] Reducing traffic usage during package move between repos

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 04:58:20 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:55, Roman Kyrylych<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:41, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> I think a big improvemt will be when we fix it so that if we move packages from testing to extra/core, mirrors will not see as a "file remove and a new file", which causes a lot of unneeded traffic.
>> if we make this system use symlinks or whatever this can be handled much better.
>> but other then that, I think the current syncing system is fine. (the "getting" part is something different. see tiered setup,mirrorbrain etc. discussions)
>
> Since we already use symlinks for -any packages this proposal looks okay.
> The layout could be like this then:

Oops, copy-paste error. Should be this way.
i686/foobar-1.2.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz -> ../all/foobar-1.2.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
x86_64/foobar-1.2.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz ->
../all/foobar-1.2.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
any/foobaz-4.5.6-1-any.pkg.tar.gz -> ../all/foobaz-4.5.6-1-any.pkg.tar.gz

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)