[arch-dev-public] German Pronunciation

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Sep 3 01:22:19 EDT 2009

Am Donnerstag 03 September 2009 03:26:08 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> How do you say "Gudrun". "Gerolde", and "Sigurd". I have my own
> English-ized pronunciations, but I'd like to know the real way to say
> it.
>
> I imagine the "Gud" is kinda like the german "guten", but is the "run"
> part like that too? Gude-rune?

Yes, you are right here. It should sound like Goodroon like in boot or noon
and the G like in get.

I think Gerold is written without the e at the end; see
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerold. Should be spoken as a hard G at the
beginning, the er like in where and a short old.

BTW: No idea who told you this but those names are everything but cool or sexy
names for web servers. :-)

--

Pierre Schmitz, http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre