[arch-dev-public] Load_Cycle_Count and storage-fixup

Thayer Williams thayerw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:45:26 EDT 2009

I do think we should implement a sane default.  I've known about this
issue for some time and have always added the hdparm line to
/etc/rc.local, but I think the vast majority of users, and not just Arch
users, remain unaware.

I just picked up an MSI Wind U120 this week which has a WD drive.  It was
clicking so often and so loudly that I thought the disk might need
servicing.  That's when I realized that the power management values were
being reset every time it woke up from standby.

It's fixed now, but it's a hassle (and danger) that users shouldn't have
deal with.