[arch-dev-public] Replacing dcron

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Tue Sep 22 16:10:07 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler a écrit :
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>>> Another suggestion was vixie-cron - personally I have been using
>>> fcron on
>>> LFS since 2001 or 2002 and later on Arch, and have been happy with
>>> it all
>>> those 8 or 9 years. Whatever we do by default, I will keep on using
>>> fcron.
>>
>> It sounds like you're a little hesitant about this. What are our
>> options here? fcron, bcron, vixie-cron?
>
> I wasn't planning on sounding hesitant. I only know fcron and never
> used vixie or bcron. fcron is very small, fcrontabs are compatible
> with traditional crontabs, but have an optional extended syntax that
> supports many advanced features. Did I mention that it is still pretty
> small?
>
> The only thing that one might worry about is that people might say
> fcron is "unmaintained" - but then I haven't seen a single bug or
> missing feature in the current release, so maybe this apparent lack of
> maintenance is a result from a lack of need for maintenance.

I agree. "Maintained" does not necessarily mean "there are new releases
every X months". Strictly speaking it rather means that if a bug or
security issue is reported to the developers, they will fix it. There is
occasionally software that really is bugfree and does not require change
to the code :) Examples do not abound, for sure.