[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] [signoff] openssl, heimdal and icu rebuilds

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Apr 5 21:26:57 CEST 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:12:33 -0300, Flavio Costa <flavio.cdc at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ..
>> I had good luck with everything yesterday on both my i686 and x86_64
>> boxes. pacman-git hiccuped a bit but that is my own fault (so had to
>> do some reinstalling when vercmp was failing due to linking issues).
>> openoffice-base was also working fine last night on my x86_64 box.
>> ..
>>

> I had some 'vercmp' linking issues when upgrading to kernel26
(2.6.33.1-1
> ->
> 2.6.33.2-1) and system-tools-backends (2.8.3-1 -> 2.10.0-1), so I guess
it
> is not an isolated problem.
>
> After the complete -Suy, I manually -S'ed kernel26 and
> system-tools-backends
> and they ran smoothly.

Looks like vercmp is linked against openssl (why?). But the initial -Syu
will just update pacamn and not its deps which would also pull in the new
openssl. This means that vercmp is broken until openssl is updated.

Maybe we need to increase the versioned deps of pacman to libarchive and
libfetch to get the new openssl in the first run. But it seem Allan did
revert this for some reason. (maybe because your system is completely
broken if you don't run pacman -Syu twice.

Any suggestions on this? Maybe increasing the versioned deps of pacman + a
news item telling people to don't forget to run -Syu twice?