[arch-dev-public] WARNING: [testing] broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Apr 7 06:42:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:04:32 -0500, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>
>> This is some kind of general problem: the system may be inconsistent
>> during the process of updating and install scripts will fail. In this
>> case
>> we need to make sure that libarchive and libfetch are updated right
after
>> openssl. This might be solved by increasing the versioned deps of
pacman
>> libarchive/libfetch to their latest versions which should pull in the
new
>> openssl. The problem is that doing so the system is inconsistent/broken
>> after the first -Syu run.
>
> All makes sense now. I'm just afraid of the inconsistent step you
> noted above, as I know I have caught myself in it before and it is
> quite painful to be in.

I just tested what happens if I change pacman depends to
"'libarchive>=2.8.3-3' 'libfetch>=2.30-3'". You need to run -Syu twice but
everything works fine. The remaining problem is that if you use anything
else than libfetch to get your packages (e.g. wget or curl) you wont be
able to update because after the first run those apps are broken.

But I still don't see any chance to solve this in a smooth way. So I would
change the pacman package that way and post a news item and ask people to
run -Syu twice and tell them that external download programs cannot be
used.