[arch-dev-public] db-5 rebuild

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 9 03:56:54 EDT 2010

On 09/04/10 15:41, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 09/04/10 14:50, Andreas Radke wrote:
>> Am Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:41:36 +1000
>> schrieb "Allan McRae"<allan at archlinux.org>:
>>> Another week, another rebuild. This time it is the update to db-5.
>>> It looks like the big version jump is due to adding new features
>>> rather than API changes, but I need to investigate further.
>> What are your plans? My quad feels cold...
> Well... I am still figuring things out. Looking at the API changes from
> 4.8->5.0, it seems this should not be a hard rebuild...
> We are going to need a 'db4' package as some things on the rebuild list
> probably should not be updated to db5 yet. I believe Jan wants
> evolution-data-server to stay built against db4.8 and I would prefer
> python to do so too (until upstream OKs it).
> So my plan is:
> 1) update db to 5.0
> 2) upload db4 package
> 3) post message telling everyone using [testing] to install db4 (with
> --asdep)
> 4) start rebuilds - these can be done slowly due to the db4 package and
> I recommend maintainers decide what gets updated to db5 or not.
> Expect db4 and updated db to hit the repos soon.

OK, screw that...  :)

It looks like there are massive changes to the API between db-4.8 and 
db-5.0 that do not appear to be listed in the porting guide.  I tried to 
the rebuilds for most of the [core] packages and they all failed to 
build.  I could fine no mention of the issues anywhere upstream, so it 
looks like no-one else is attempting this yet.

So I will be reverting the changes I made in [testing] for the time 
being and re-investigate the update in a few months.


More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list