[arch-dev-public] [signoff] coreutils 8.4-3

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Apr 14 19:28:04 EDT 2010

On 15/04/10 03:40, Thomas Bächler wrote:

>> so what exactly does the binary do? is it an exact copy
>> of /usr/bin/test, is it a small program that does exec(), or .. ?
>> I downloaded the 8.4 tarball but couldn't quickly find the answer.
>
> I don't think it matters. Neither [ nor test from coreutils are actually
> ever used - the bash (or whatever shell you use) builtins [ and test are
> used instead.

In general, this is the only real difference:
NOTE: [ honors the --help and --version options, but test does not.
test treats each of those as it treats any other nonempty STRING.

The rest I think is better compatibility with test synatx when your
shell does not provide "[".

Anyway, we should be supplying what upstream installs.

Allan