[arch-dev-public] [signoff] gcc-4.5 toolchain rebuild

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 16 15:38:32 CEST 2010

On 16/04/10 23:21, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>> gcc-4.5.0-1:
>>   upstream update
>>   add new deps (libmpc, libelf)
>>   enable link time optimization
>>   tidy up configure
>>   add c89 and c99 launcher scripts (POSIX compatibility)
>
> Will we at some point want to add the -lto flag (or whatever it is) to
> both CFLAGS and LDFLAGS in our defaults?

It is -flto  (and if you are really keen, add -fwhopr  with
-fwhole-program - experimental).

I would not advocate adding it by default.  Linking is a lot slower
(obviously) and it seems to use more memory...  sometimes a lot more.
I'd let the ricers play with this flag for a while before considering it
as the default.

Allan