[arch-dev-public] [staging] repository: Let's give it a try!

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Aug 11 11:29:24 EDT 2010

Hi devs,

my last attempt for this didn't get much feedback so I try to keep it
short this time...for more details see the old thread at:
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-May/016770.html

This time I am just asking to give it a try. It's implementation is
trivial and if we feel it wont work out we could easily remove it later.
If there are no real objections I'd like to implement this soon; let's
say next week. Even if you don't see the benefit right now I would be
pleased to at least give it a try.

The idea can be summed up like this:

testing:
 * don't break packages intentionally
 * don't push incomplete rebuilds

staging:
 * a global staging repository for collaboration
   its more similar to your ~/staging dir than a regular repository
 * mostly meant for incomplete rebuilds
 * will be excluded from mirroring (for now)

I am open for any questions or suggestions. Thanks for reading,

Pierre