[arch-dev-public] [staging] repository: Let's give it a try!

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Aug 11 12:24:09 EDT 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:56:28 -0500, Aaron Griffin
<aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Thomas Bächler
> <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> So, we are adding an extra layer of confusion which there was no need
>> for in the past. What is the problem you are trying to solve?
>
> As I understand it, the point is to help with overly large rebuilds,
> allowing for multiple developers to work in parallel better. Is this
> correct, Pierre?

Exactly. In fact we already used this idea somehow when we had a jpng
repo to prepare the libjpeg/libpng rebuilds or when we virtually freeze
testing for a while and warning people to not use it atm because a
rebuild is going on.

My approach is simplify this and make it easier for us; so we can even
use it for small rebuilds with just a dozen of packages involved.

Let me underline again that [staging] would be no regular repo that
would be used by anyone directly. It mainly meant for collecting
rebuilds. Till now we either had a special repo, broke testing or one
dev had to do the rebuild completely on his own. Using a common use case
for these should make our lives easier.

It would also stabilize the testing repo and hopefully this will make
more people use it.