[arch-dev-public] 2.6.35.1-1 from testing does not load sd_mod during boot, breaking boot

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Aug 14 14:44:07 EDT 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:24:53 +0200
Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:

> FYI,
> I installed 2.6.35.1-1 from testing on my system (nforce2 motherboard,
> silicon image sata controller, WD raptor sata disks)
> this kernel does not load sd_mod during boot, which - in my case -
> causes the encrypt hook to not find the device it should decrypt,
> which breaks my boot process.
>
> in the early userspace shell i can confirm there is no /dev/sd*
> or /dev/disk/by-uuid
>
> I tried regenerating initcpio from rescue media, but this did not
> help. I think I will install the earlier kernel again or maybe the
> LTS, unless someone has a better idea.
>
> Dieter

FYI,
I booted a live cd, chrooted into my system and did a
pacman -U
--nodeps /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.34.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

(--nopdeps needed for nvidia driver, which I don't use, but that's
another story)

now my system works again.
[root at dieter-ws-a7n8x-arch ~]# lsmod | grep sd
sd_mod                 25507  3
scsi_mod               79372  4 sg,sd_mod,sr_mod,libata

If I can be of assistance to help resolving this issue, let me know
what you want me to do.

Dieter