[arch-dev-public] Important: upcoming dbscripts release

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 16 14:09:40 EDT 2010

> Important changes:
> * implementation of a package pool: all packages are now stored in
>   pool/packages or pool/community directories on the ftp server. The
>   current repository directories like extra/os/i686 only contain
>   symlinks.
>   As a results moving pacakges between repositories is now a matter of
>   altering symlinks and as such very cheap. This should solve the
>   problems with not fully synced mirrors we had in the past when a lot
>   of packages were moved from e.g. testing to extra.

Has anyone done any testing on this to make sure our mirrors are
configured to rsync symlinks properly?  There is a flag to copy them as
the source file, one to copy the symlink as a symlink, and another to
ignore them altogether.  We don't want to make this change until we can
confirm the majority of the mirrors are using the proper rsync flag(s).

Dale