[arch-dev-public] The "Great Python Rebuild of 2010" begins

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 17 11:46:16 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have pushed the new python (3.1) and python2 (2.7) packages to the new
[staging] repo so rebuilds can start there.   Remember the staging repo
should never be used outside a build chroot...  If you do, everything
python related will break on your system.

TUs will not be able to start uploading rebuilds yet as they do not have
a staging equivalent, but we will sort something out for them once we
get all the db-scripts/devtools changes tested for the main one first.
The package pool is going to save us a heap of issues when this gets
moved so it is worth the wait.

The key things to remember with the rebuild are:

  - build in clean chroots.  Most packages will detect "python2" or
"python-2.7" once they see no "python" and use that.  Some will need
simple patching.

  - change your dependencies to python2

  - check files for #!'s with "/usr/bin/python" or "/usr/bin/env
python".  If you have those you will need to do a sed to change them to
python2.

If you come across a package that you can not easily fix, add it to
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Python_Todo_List#Packages_with_rebuild_issues
and I will take a look at it.

Have fun,
Allan