[arch-dev-public] nilfs-utils moving in core

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Dec 7 10:26:00 EST 2010

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:45:45 +0100, Thomas Bächler
<thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 07.12.2010 14:40, schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
>> Hi,
>> i come across https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/20261 and i see Dieter
>> added support in aif for it but it needs to be added in core to include
>> it on the cd.
>
> That is not true. Packages don't have to be in core to be included in
> the installation environment.

I second this. If the reason for moving a package to core is that the
installer cannot handle it otherwise the installer needs to be fixed.

>> Don't know why nobody assigned that bug to me since i'm the maintainer
>> of nilfs-utils even since it was in community.
>>
>> What do you think? Is it worth adding it? It must be in base group?
>
> How many people use nilfs? I doubt very many. If you want to add another
> package to your list that nobody will sign off on, I don't object (even
> xfsutils and jfsutils rarely get signoffs, and those are popular file
> systems compared to nilfs).

That's why I would vote against moving it to core. I'd even say we
should have a look at those packages in core with low usage and see if
we should move them to extra. There are already packages for which we
don't get any sign-offs which shows that those are no longer needed to
be in core.

The idea of core was to provide a minimal set of packages that are
needed by nearly all users to set up a base system. Our sign-off
procedure ensures that we don't put broken packages by accident there.

I don't think that nilfs matches the criteria needed for inclusion in
core. (side note: it has 1.38% usage according to pkgstats)

Greetings,

Pierre