[arch-dev-public] Updating packages on our servers

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:11:37 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:51:46 -0600, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>>> I'll list the packages to be upgraded on each server so please have a
>>> look and tell me if you'd expect any other problems. Maybe someone wants
>>> to update the xen kernel stuff while we are at it. At least the openssl
>>> update is security related.
>>
>> The scariest thing on that list for me is mailman. :)
>
> Everybody seems to hate mailman. Andy is updating the package right
> now. So if this is the last message you read you'll know who is to
> blame. Thomas also had this weird idea of making a backup before.

Rebuilding a version for an old python then? This is tied to the 2.7
upgrade, no?

>> With that said, I should be around and can help at some point, namely
>> with the python website/database/etc stuff you mentioned; I can do
>> some cleanup at that time as well as this stuff is now virtualenv-ed
>> and we don't necessarily need to install all of the packages on the
>> server.
>
> Thomas suggested something about 12 UTC. That might be quite early for
> you :-).
Saturday morning for me then at 6AM? Quite early. :) If you guys can
do it 2 hours later at 14:00 UTC I can show up and hope my coffee is
strong.

 Would a simple -Syu break django or could you do your cleanups
> afterwards?
Yes it would, unfortunately. :/ Any major version bump blows things
up. If you start with gerolde, things should? be OK there, gudrun is
where the issues will likely come up.

-Dan