[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] What about gallium on r600?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Dec 14 02:48:47 EST 2010

Am Tue, 14 Dec 2010 00:32:08 +0100
schrieb Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>:

> On 14.12.2010 00:15, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it works not worse than classic mesa on my RV620.
> >
> > I add --enable-gallium-r600 and modify package_ati-dri-git() in
> > mesa-git PKGBUILD as it is already done for r300
> >
> > (make -C ${srcdir}/build/src/gallium/targets/dri-r600
> > DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install)
> >
> > I test current (20101213) git snapshot.
> >
> > May be put it into testing and enable on next release?
> >
> Upstream does not currently advise using this driver. Upstream usually
> is knowledgeable about this so we should hang on for some more time.
> Unless, of course, some recent changes have been merged. Did you ask
> in #radeon? If not, can you do that and inform us about the current
> state of the driver and whether using gallium for r600 is recommended
> yet?
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

I'll probably follow again the Fedora way. They switched in FC Rawhide
to Mesa 7.10 snapshots and enabled r600 gallium there. So expect this
when we will push new Mesa 7.10 to our repos.

Right now we are in a bad situation: With new libdrm 2.4.23 released
Mesa 7.9 won't build anymore. Updating to Mesa 7.10 branch is possible
but new Xorg 1.10 release candidate will break proprietary NVidia
driver. I'll delay these updates for a some time if there's no other
solution.

-Andy