[arch-dev-public] Breaking the unspoken rule: AUR helper in [community]

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Dec 29 22:38:34 EST 2010

On 30 December 2010 10:46, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 30/12/10 12:16, Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/cower/
>>
>> Thoughts? I was under the impression we didn't do this, and definitely
>> on purpose, otherwise people have *no* idea the AUR is different in a
>> lot of ways. Making people go the "hard way" to get a helper installed
>> at least presents some (necessary) barrier.
>
> I have not used this, but I understand that it only automates the
> downloading of PKGBUILDs for the packages.  You still need to manually build
> them.  So, I am less against including this in the repos than something that
> does the building too.  Still, it is a fine line...

We didn't even conclude a previous discussion [1] (if we did then it's
all in the negative), and now there is one of those tools in the
repositories? Honestly, I don't think this is fair practice as it
undermines the initiatives of others before who did not get the green
for stuff like this, and it ignores the importance of general
consensus. Given that it is such a grey area, there should be an
official discussion and possibly a vote. Now there is no reason why
things like slurpy and other download/upload helpers shouldn't get in.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2010-November/011887.html