[arch-dev-public] parallel compression in makepkg

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Dec 31 09:45:55 EST 2010

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:59:28 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> What's your opinion? Is using p7zip a solution we can add to makepkg
> for now?

I am not sure if we really have a problem which is worth fixing on our
side here. You example is quite an exception. I guess most other
packages are either small anyway or take wa longer to compile so
compression time does not matter. I'd say let's just wait till this is
supported in xz itself and/or help implementing smp there.

We also use libarchive which depends on xz for
compression/decompression. Adding another dependency just for
compression might make things more complicated and troublesome.

Greetings,

Pierre