[arch-dev-public] mkinitcpio 0.6 alpha - testing and help needed

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 2 13:13:38 EST 2010

Am 24.01.2010 18:05, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
> used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):
>
> So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
> with testing/udev only:
>
> [kill-klibc]
> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
>
> or
>
> [kill-klibc]
> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/
>
> The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
> is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
> patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
> needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.
>
> device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
> won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.
>
> If you upgrade to this repositories, your existing mkinitcpio will be
> replaced and all klibc packages will be gone too. So, if you try it,
> please save your existing initramfs to a different filename as a
> fallback, and do not perform kernel upgrades until you either confirmed
> that it works, or downgraded to the klibc-based mkinitcpio.

Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.

The part that works (standard hooks, keymap, cryptsetup, lvm2) has been
100% stable and has worked perfectly for all of the testers so far
(which aren't many, so you never know).

Note that the klibc-based mkinitcpio has problems which will never be
fixed (because I can't fix them, or don't want to fix them), some of
which are already fixed in the 0.6 branch.

One example is the lack of vfat detection in fstype, which affects
people who want to put archiso on vfat volumes - this is no problem
because we use blkid now. I am sure there are more examples.
I simply refuse to put more time into something that is entirely broken
and can't even be rebuilt against our current kernel headers (yes, the
last time klibc was successfully rebuilt was against 2.6.29 iirc, the
version I built against 2.6.31 works on x86_64, but not on i686).