[arch-dev-public] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Perl packaging guidelines.

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Tue Feb 9 04:32:22 EST 2010

[Forwarding this from Xyne]

>  This is an area where I have a pretty solid experience, as as perl dev,
>  arch user, and maintainer of several perl packages in extra and
>  community. I tend to agree with Allan here. We should only package and
>  take into consideration what on CPAN is called a distribution, i.e. a
>  tarball containing a bunch or related perl modules. The mapping between
>  modules and distributions is available in a plain text database on each
>  CPAN mirror, and can be figured out by the common tools used to install
>  cpan stuff from the command-line (cpan and cpanp). I think it is quite a
>  BAD idea to put all module names in the provides array, as this can
>  easily yield hundreds of elements without obvious advantage I can think
>  of. Our poor lil Pacman has better things to do than take that overload
>  into account.

Is the overhead even significant? How expensive are PROVIDES lookups?
(Coincidentally, I've thought for a while now that there should be a
single PROVIDES list for the local database to avoid opening hundreds
of files unnecessarily, even if that is quite fast).

What about when distributions change their module roster? This has
happened before and will happen again. I see robust dependency
resolution as an "obvious advantage". If any important modules ever get
moved around (e.g. subsumed into the base distribution from a popular
module), then all packages which depend on that module would need to
update their depends array.

The fact that META.yml files for distributions on CPAN specify modules
and not distributions shows that the dependencies are actually the
modules themselves. Ignoring upstream convention and Pacman's built-in
capabilities to shave a little bit of time off of a PROVIDES lookup
doesn't right to me, especially when you factor in the potential
dependency breakage, however unlikely that is to affect large
distributions.

>  That said, I do acknowledge Xyne's effort! I have written a very similar
>  tool years ago, which is still available in AUR (perl-cpanplus-pacman),
>  but for which I have alas not dedicated as much effort and commitment as
>  Xyne did with pacpan. My own approach has however inspired another
>  project, called perl-cpanplus-dist-arch (also in AUR), which IMHO is
>  superior to both my own cpan4pacman and Xyne's pacpan. (That said I
>  still use cpan4pacman (together with a few helper shell scripts and the
>  devtools) to maintain my own local repository of 550 CPAN packages, all
>  of which I keep uptodate with relative ease).

I've looked at perl-cpanplus-dist-arch while rewriting the pacpan
backend. I found the entire CPANPLUS backend to be overkill for
creating Pacman packages. Pacpan uses the same files and gets the same
results, but without the CPAN shell and other bells and whistles that
have no significance for Pacman packaging.

That said, if there are particular features that
perl-cpanplus-dist-arch has that pacman lacks, let me know which and I
will consider adding them. If that project does show itself to be
superior for Pacman packaging then I probably switch the backend over
to it, but so far the current backend works as expected and is fairly
simple with no external dependencies.

Two follow-up questions:
Do you at least support the idea of renaming CPAN packages with
non-standard names to their standard names?

If not, what about including the standard name in the provides array?

If pacpan didn't include the individual modules in the arrays but
instead mapped then all to their distribution, how would you see the
matter then?

Regards,
Xyne