[arch-dev-public] My status

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Wed Feb 10 06:26:30 EST 2010

Hello all,

Given the current discussion, I believe it is appropriate for me to
provide a status update as far as my role within the Arch community is
concerned. As a father of three (soon four!) I don't have much time at
my disposal, and would like to concentrate the little I have on other
open-source projects I am involved in. But I am well-aware that stepping
down right now would leave you with yet another bunch of orphan
packages, including the texlive-* ones, which is really not what you
guys need at this moment.

I am thus proposing this: I'll stay on board and will continue
maintaining my stuff until we have found someone who is ready to take up
maintainance of the texlive packages. I have written a collection of
helper scripts for this purpose which are publically available on our
projects page. Of course I'd also be available for help. So that should
be feasible by anyone who uses TeX Live already, knows its internals
moderately well (configuration files and tools, web2c, kpathsea, etc),
and is not afraid of complex build processes. I hope this can be
achieved within the next, say, six months, but hopefully sooner, since
our baby is expected early April and I won't have much time in the three
months thereafter. Ideally that person should be one of you, which would
make things very easy, but I don't think this is realistic, given the
workload you already have. There is also the possibility of moving the
texlive pkgs back to community if a TU is interested, but I'd really
prefer they stay in extra.

In other words, you can still count on me, but not for too long ;) In
the meanwhile, if anyone is interested in a particular package I
maintain, just ask and I'll orphan it.

Regards,
François