[arch-dev-public] [signoff] devtools 0.9.2

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Feb 14 06:15:12 EST 2010

Am Freitag, 12. Februar 2010 02:12:17 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> A warning for those who use makechrootpkg: the rw and union subdirs are no
> longer used and cannot be used with the new tools. Aufs is no longer
> needed.
>
> For details see http://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/log/

The new devtools will soon be in extra. You'll find a chagnelog at the url
mentioned above.

I just wanted to add some more info about the new rsync usage of
makechrootpkg:
* if you have any important files in your rw layer it is easier to back them
  up now using the old devtools.
* You can remove the rw and union dirs; they are no longer used
* In a worst case you will need up to 800 MB extra disk space for your chroot,
  as we now create a complete copy of your root install. The benefit is that
  there wont be any crashes or system freezes due to aufs and compiling will
  be faster as there is no overhead anymore. The initial sync will take some
  time though; depending on your hard drive performance. (e.g. one minute)